Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shaking Hands with the Devil (but wearing asbestos gloves)

It was never my dream to be a blogger. This was my publisher's idea. "A great way to promote your books", they said. I've always been terrified of promotion, but this seemed harmless enough. Now I'm writing this with one eye peeled for lightning bolts. There has to be a cruel punishment for this kind of self serving drivel. So I've decided to cut to the chase and get it over with as quickly as possible.

Today I'm pushing 'America's Coolest Station Wagons', a title bound to disappoint. I mean, who's to say what's 'coolest'? Me? Hardly. But I loved the freedom to chose what I felt were the coolest of hundreds of wagon stories I heard about. I gathered up about 65 stories, then my sadistic editor slashed that down by 10 % or so.  I'm happy with the finished product. If only we had another 100 pages to play on, we could've included the chapter on 'Wagons in Hibernation' - longroof corpses, decaying gracefully while waiting to be angels, or swans, or at least duckies. My favorite chapter was the 'Tailgate Art Show', with truely awesome original art by Sean Mayhan, Lance Sorchik, Dan Palatnik and Eric Black. Killer stuff! Now they lay on the cutting room floor, lifeless. I'll check with the thugs in the Cartech Legal Dept to see about posting those lost images here, but I'm not holding my breath.

And now for my next trick, I'll attempt to put up images of the book cover art. You know, as painful as this must be to read, it's just as hard for me to write "I", "me" and "my" so much. This really goes against my self-imposed rules of writing. There must be a way around that.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment